Sunshine and Rain - Day 4 of 366

http://greenwitchtales.blogspot.com/2016/04/sunshine-and-rain.html
What a lovely day it is in Melbourne today. Yesterday was so wet and cold I thought we had a week of similar days ahead. Rain is good for the garden that's for sure, but while I'm at the beginning stages there isn't much that needs watering.

I wish I could be at home in my garden preparing the earth and taking photos. The sun looks amazing and I'm stuck working all day long. I shouldn't grumble, this job is what gives me the money to have a garden at all.

Every year I am stunned at the workings of tiny seeds. They could have been sitting around the house for years just small and try. Add some soil and water and within days they start to sprout. I love that time of year. When you're sprouting little seeds and turning them into plants with nothing but dirt and water.

There is a very talented Witch, Elizabeth, that I was introduced to earlier this year. You could say she is the reason for this project. I have a lot to thank her for.

Elizabeth was taught the ways of the hedgewitch by her mother. They would often gather supplies using the Wildcrafting method which I am only just learning about. She is a  fantastic knowledge base for information and she has shared some key tips with me about germinating seeds. Knowing my project she was happy for me to share these tips for anyone who would like to learn. Such a generous soul, what would I do without her!
  • The biggest need of a seed is not actually light, but heat. This is why so many plants require planting in the spring when the earth warms up from the sun. You can use a heating blanket to help your seeds sprout, but remember this will also dry out the soil faster too so keep an eye on them and water as needed. 
  • Seeds need moisture to germinate. The best way is to plant them in moist soil and cover them with plastic until they germinate. Once they have sprouted you can take the plastic off and get them near a south facing window. 
  • Water from underneath the plants. Given most seeds are planted close to the top of the soil, watering from above can disturb the seeds, or leave the top soil too wet which will leave the seeds over-watered. 
  • Make sure air is circulating around your plants to ensure the top if the soil is not too wet. A fan can help with this.
  • Light is essential for well developed plants. You can use white boards to reflect light back to the plant, more light is ideal for well developed plants. 
  • Seedlings need a lot of light. Ideally 15 hours a day which is why a lot of growers use indoor spaces with lights of their own on timers to ensure the seedlings get all the light they need. 
  • Don't try and sprout seeds out of season or too early. It's a good idea to find out exactly when to plant things outdoors in your area to prevent them failing.
  • Prepare your plants for the outdoors by touching and moving them. This better prepares them for wind and rain. Further to this point, when you see that they are almost ready to plant outside, put the seedlings outside before you plant them outside. This further prepares them for planting and helps them adjust to the different environment. 
 No I just have to remember these for when it comes time for me to grow my own seeds! Looking forward to September - Spring in Australia!

Day 4 of 366

Comments

Popular Posts