Understanding "Witches" and finding my place



I'm tired of coming across posts and articles claiming they can define a witch. There are many types of witches and more ways one can practice witchcraft. It feels so impersonal and presumptuous for someone to say 'I know everything about you and can happily tell the world you're this type of witch'.

Rather than letting other people make assumptions about what kind of witch I am, I'll share it myself so that we get everything clear.

I am a solitary practicing witch who uses nature and the energy of the earth and spirit to work magic. From there I use this energy and focus to take action. To me, magic is a form of energy, it is in everything. By doing spells and rituals I calm and focus my magic on the things I aim for. This can be as simple as mixing a salve to help ease joint pain or focusing my mind ready for study. 

I do not use bones, fur or any similar items in my practices. The most common items I use are crystals, candles, herbs, plants, flowers, wood, dirt, water, incense, and tarot cards. I have allowed my spell work to evolve and grow with me. I find I can't use spells I have not written myself and I prefer to create my own.

It is not my custom to have naked gatherings under the full moon, I don't wear a pentagram, and my wardrobe is not full of black clothes. I prefer to use natural remedies when possible but I also believe in science and modern medicine.  

I do not practice Witchcraft as a religion, such as Wicca, and I don't believe in deities. I believe in fairies and mythical creatures but I don't believe they have corporeal forms anymore.   

I love that someone can be a Christian Witch, or a high priestess in the Wiccan community. You can be Vegan and Catholic, you can be a herbalist Buddhist. People can be Sea Witches, Green Witches, or just call themselves Pagan. Witches could live in a cottage by a forest or in the heart of the city. Everyone is different, so often tv shows and movies give people a warped idea of what is real. If there is one thing you take from this little rant of mine is don't assume you know someone if they call themselves a witch.

Day 26 of 366






Comments

Popular Posts