Afternoon Tea with a Bee




I had a visit from a bee over the weekend. I was in the garden leaning on my shovel deciding what area to level out when a bee decided my glove might be a flower. I assume that's what it thought because I don't know why else it would think my hand was a good stopping spot.

My first reaction to bugs that could bite or sting me is usually to flap my hands and move away so it wont attack me. But remembering why I am in my garden and that I want to welcome these amazing creatures that will help my garden grow, I stopped (I didn't flail) and I watched. For someone who doesn't share well with creepy crawlies I have a lot to learn.

I watched as this little creature sat on my hand, I moved closer to watch how it washed its face and antennae. The I realised the bee was watching me too. My heart skipped a beat and I instinctively moved my face away, worried I had been staring too long and maybe made it angry and thinking it might sting my face.

It started buzzing and I almost lost my nerve, but I kept my hand still as the buzzing got louder and I realised it was getting ready to take flight. Within a blink it was off and into the sky. I hope it comes back in the spring when I have flowers to feed it.   

Day 14 of 366








Comments

Popular Posts