THE CALENDAR AND CEREMONIAL MAGIC: Imbolc








































After a lot of reading and considering Imbolc I have decided that, to me, this time of year is an honoring of what is not yet present. It represents the potential in our spirits, the 'calm before a storm' of growth and spring. Imbolc's beauty is in its waiting and not knowing. Like my favourite quote by Gilda Radner “I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next. Delicious Ambiguity".


What I find hard to grasp is that this holiday isn't the first day of spring, it's more the midpoint between winter and spring. It seems strange to celebrate the 'middle' of something but that might just be because I usually celebrate the end or the beginning of things.

As for the history of this holiday Imbolc originated as a Gaelic festival that celebrated the beginning of spring. It usually falls at the midpoint between the winter and spring equinox. One fact I found interesting was that the word “imbolc” refers to sheep’s milk in Old Irish. Imbolc is also known as Candlemas, a name which derives from the traditional lighting of candles to lure back the sun. During ancient times, lactating ewes represented one of the first signs of spring. It is also a celebration of the Celtic Goddess Brigid, and many of the traditions of Imbolc are linked to her magic as Goddess of fire, blacksmiths, wells, healing waters, springs and poets. She is also linked to motherhood, fertility and abundance.

While I respect tradition and history, one of my aims for this year and a day is to find out what the Sabbats mean to me and how I will celebrate them in my own way.

I like the idea of gathering poems, quotes, and white objects and adding them to my gratitude garland for this day. All of these items will be used to welcome back the sun after such a wet cold winter. Traditionally people burn candles and have fires as well so I hope to do this in the evening. I have also read that Imbolc is the traditional time to collect stones for magical purposes. So I'll also be taking myself off into the woods to collect stones and other bits and pieces.

Day 112 of 366





Comments

Popular Posts